Employee’s Initial Steps
1. Contact your manager to inform him or her of your absence/need for a leave of absence.
2. Contact Liberty Mutual, DePaul’s leave of absence administrator, at 1-800-341-0593, to initiate the leave of absence process. During the initial call with the Liberty Mutual, you will be assigned a case manager who will discuss preliminary information and then will send you instructions and the necessary forms to complete (by you and your physician).
3. Submit all completed paperwork to Liberty Mutual within 21 calendar days in order for your leave of absence request to be processed. This includes the paperwork from your physician. If your completed paperwork is not returned to Liberty Mutual within 21 days, your request for leave may be denied.
4. Once the paperwork is received by Liberty Mutual, it goes through a review process and an approval determination is made. Once the leave determination is completed, a letter of approval or denial is sent to you. The Human Resources Department and your manager are also notified of the status of your leave request.
5. While you are on an FMLA only leave, you may be able to use accrued vacation pay or available floating holidays. To do so, you must inform the Benefits Department. If your leave is unpaid, you will also be required to inform the Benefits Department of your benefit payment arrangement. The Benefits Department can be reached at 312-362-8232.
Steps While on Leave
1. If you are on leave due to a birth or adoption of a child, contact the Benefits Department at 312-362-8232 within 31 days to complete a family status change in order to add the child to your health insurance. You may also want to update your life insurance and retirement plan beneficiary information.
2. Stay in touch with your manager and Liberty Mutual throughout your leave.
3. If you are on an intermittent leave, you are required to submit a Payroll Leave Spreadsheet to the Benefits Department each Friday before a payroll date. The spreadsheet is used to notify the Payroll Department of the hours you work and the hours to be applied to your approved leave of absence. Failure to provide the Payroll Leave Spreadsheets on a timely basis may result in you not being paid or being underpaid.
4. While on leave, if your circumstances change and you are able to return to work earlier than expected please notify Liberty Mutual and your manager as soon as possible before returning back to work.
5. If you need to extend your leave beyond your expected return to work date, you must notify Liberty Mutual and your manager at least five work days prior to the date you had originally intended to return to work. Liberty Mutual will detail the steps necessary to extend your leave.
Steps To Prepare for Your Return to Work
1. One week prior to your return to work, contact your manager and Liberty Mutual to confirm your return to work date. No additional documentation is necessary to return to work.
2. Failure to return to work on your expected return to work date or failure to notify Liberty Mutual and your manager of a needed extension to your leave may result in termination of employment.
3. If a reasonable accommodation is necessary when returning to work, please refer to the Americans with Disabilities Act policy. Additional information is also available at the Human Resources website for Reasonable Accommodations. DePaul will make a reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability, who are defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as individuals with a disability who satisfy the job-related requirements of a position held or desired, and who can perform the "essential functions" of such a position, with or without reasonable accommodation. You may contact Employee Relations at (312) 362-8577 for more details.